PLASTIC GROCERY BAGS KILL WILDLIFE
AND DAMAGE THE ENVIRONMENT
- According to the United States Department of Environmental Protection somewhere between 500 billion and a trillion plastic bags are consumed worldwide each year.
- Less than 1% are recycled.
- It costs $4,000 to process and recycle 1 ton of plastics bags, which can then be sold on commodities market for only $32.
- Plastic shopping bags are made from polyethelene: a thermoplastic made from oil. Reducing plastic bags will decrease foreign oil dependancy. China will save 32 million barrels of oil a year due it is ban on free plastic bags.
- Plastic bags have been banned in Bangladesh and Rwanda, are taxed in Ireland, must be purchased in China and are either banned or there are proposals to ban them in Israel, Canada Western India, Kenya, Tanzania, South Africa, Taiwan, and Singapore.
- San Francisco was the first U.S. city to ban plastic bags.
- Oakland and Boston are considering a ban.
THE SOLUTION IS SIMPLE. USE CLOTH REUSABLE BAGS WHEN YOU ARE SHOPPING.